[Tutor] Question re Tutor List Etiquette

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Tue Aug 14 21:33:16 CEST 2007

At 11:56 AM 8/14/2007, Kent Johnson wrote:
>Dick Moores wrote:
> > When sending a reply to a post, to the list, should we also address
> > the reply to the author of the post to which we are replying?
> > (There's gotta be an easier way to say that..) If we do so, then the
> > author gets a duplicate of our reply.
>
>This is configurable for each subscriber. Go to the tutor web page at
>
>Enter your subscription email at the bottom where it says, "To
>unsubscribe from Tutor, get a password reminder, or change your
>subscription options enter your subscription email address:"
>
>Set "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?" to Yes.

Great!

> > Ten years ago or so I managed a Majordomo list, and I recall that it
> > was possible for the list manager to configure the list to include a
> > "Reply-To" header. If this would be possible for the admins to do
> > with Tutor -- to include a "Reply-To: tutor at python.org" header in the
> > posts sent out by the list, it would enable us to address a reply
> > only to the list by hitting the "Reply" button.
>
>Surely you have been reading the list long enough to know that this
>comes up every three months as a topic!

No, you can't assume that because I'm a long-term subscriber that I
have always faithfully read the list. If I had, I'd be much better at
Python than I am!

>  It's not going to change. I'm
>not going to discuss it (and I hope no one else will either). Search the
>archives if you want to see previous discussions.

Well, I don't see that it's all that bad that I brought it up again.
The newcomers undoubtedly will benefit from your advice, as I did. Or
does the new welcome message mention how to avoid duplicate copies of
messages? If not, it should.

Dick