[Tutor] Question re Tutor List Etiquette

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at datalogic.com
Tue Aug 14 22:09:35 CEST 2007

> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:33:16 -0700
> From: Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] Question re Tutor List Etiquette
> To: tutor at python.org
>
> At 11:56 AM 8/14/2007, Kent Johnson wrote:
> >Dick Moores wrote:
> > > When sending a reply to a post, to the list, should we also
address
> > > the reply to the author of the post to which we are replying?
> > > (There's gotta be an easier way to say that..) If we do so, then
the
> > > author gets a duplicate of our reply.
> >
> >This is configurable for each subscriber. Go to the tutor web page at
> >http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor
> >
> >Enter your subscription email at the bottom where it says, "To
> >unsubscribe from Tutor, get a password reminder, or change your
> >subscription options enter your subscription email address:"
> >
> >Set "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?" to Yes.
>
> Great!
>
> > > Ten years ago or so I managed a Majordomo list, and I recall that
it
> > > was possible for the list manager to configure the list to include
> > > "Reply-To" header. If this would be possible for the admins to do
> > > with Tutor -- to include a "Reply-To: tutor at python.org" header in
the
> > > posts sent out by the list, it would enable us to address a reply
> > > only to the list by hitting the "Reply" button.
> >
> >Surely you have been reading the list long enough to know that this
> >comes up every three months as a topic!
>
> No, you can't assume that because I'm a long-term subscriber that I
> have always faithfully read the list. If I had, I'd be much better at
> Python than I am!
>
> >  It's not going to change. I'm
> >not going to discuss it (and I hope no one else will either). Search
the
> >archives if you want to see previous discussions.
>
> Well, I don't see that it's all that bad that I brought it up again.
> The newcomers undoubtedly will benefit from your advice, as I did. Or
> does the new welcome message mention how to avoid duplicate copies of
> messages? If not, it should.
>
> Dick

> End of Tutor Digest, Vol 42, Issue 50
> *************************************

Greetings:

I receive these messages as a digest, not individual e-mails.  So for me
the list is the sender.  To reply to an author, I have to Fwd: and and
copy the address manually.  Since I almost never need to do that,  it
isn't a problem.  Also, it keeps my my inbox uncluttered: half a dozen
e-mails a day instead of scores.  On the other hand, the compilation
delay means that by the time I see a new question, it's nearly always
been answered three times already.  So y'all seldom get the benefit of
my superior Pythonic advice.  =8^)

FWIW,  it's nice to see this topic addressed for once without the usual
accompanying flamage.  I agree with Dick that this info should be added
to the FAQ.  Keep the frustration level down by providing the options up
front.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at datalogic.com
541-302-1107
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed