[Tutor] Question re Tutor List Etiquette

William O'Higgins Witteman hmm at woolgathering.cx
Tue Aug 14 22:26:50 CEST 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 08:11:33PM +0100, Tom Fitzhenry wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 11:06:05AM -0700, Dick Moores wrote:
>> Replying only to the list takes a bit of trouble. The default
>> behavior seems to be that the "Reply" button addresses the author
>> only and not the list; "Reply to all" addresses both the list, the
>> author, and any others included in the To: or Cc: headers of the post
>> being replied to. Or at least that's how Eudora and Gmail work.

What I have done is to inject a Reply-To header into each email with
procmail, so that hitting reply does what I expect.  Here's the rule I
use:

:0
* ^(From|To|Cc).*\@python.org
  {
    :0hf
      | /usr/bin/formail -A "Reply-To: tutor at python.org"
        :0
          python/
  }

I like this approach because it does not require that the list change
behaviour to what I consider to be the "right" thing (who cares what I
think), but if the list decided to change their policy then nothing
changes (the header would be changed to itself).
--

yours,

William