[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations [Was:[Re: Security]]

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Wed Aug 15 00:40:33 CEST 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, bhaaluu wrote:

> Programming isn't for everyone! Until you find out whether or not
> it's for you, don't spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on
> computer programming books! =)

Programming isn't unique in that respect.  I tried to learn Chinese a few
years back.  I'm not sure exactly how much I spent on dictionaries and
books, but I think my Chinese vocabulary cost about $3 or $4 per word.

I try not to buy too many Python books, but in the 4 years or so that I've
been using it, I can count at least 4 I've bought new, and another 5 I've
bought used.

What I recommend is:

 1) Get one book that's about Python, to learn from.  An example, if you
already know how to program, would be Wes's Core Python book.  Try to pick
one that's not too simple, because you'll want something that you can
still use once you know the language; alternatively, go the library route
to learn.

 2) when you can do some simple stuff, you'll eventually want a reference
book: probably either Martelli's Python in a Nutshell or Beazley's Python
Essential reference.

 3) for domain-specific work, get a book or books as needed.  For example,
you might want to pick up wxPython in Action if you're going to start
writing wxPython GUIs; or Python & XML if you're doing XML work; etc.

Actually, I've either relied on libraries for these, or opportunistically
gotten a dirt-cheap used copy.  I was idly curious about Jython, for
example, and when I saw a used copy on sale for just a few bucks, I picked
that up.

> I think your local library is a great idea for checking out programming
> books! Also, look into the Inter-library loan system for books that might
> not be in your library branch. Most libraries can borrow books for you
> from another branch within the system, or even from out-of-state.

I'm currently reading the Definitive Guide to SQLite, to write my first
database app.  I second this approach.  My copy is from the Sunnyvale
Public Library, obtained from my local San Jose Public Library via
interlibrary loan.  I read the wxPython book from a library copy, too,
before putting the money up to buy my own copy.