[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Wed Aug 15 01:09:32 CEST 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Brian Wisti wrote:

> Check with your local library, too.

Or even your not-so-local library.

> The Seattle Public Library provides access to a limited selection of the
> Safari books (stuff published in the last 2 years from a handful of
> publishers). Maybe your region has similar access.

I just did a quick search of the San Jose catalog, and see a bunch of
online Python-related books:

  Core Python Programming (2006, 2 copies)
  Game Programming with Python (2004)
  Programming Python (2006, 2 copies)
  Python Cookbook (2005, 2 copies)
  Python Essential reference (2006, 2 copies)
  Python in a Nutshell (2006, 2 copies)
  Python Phrasebook (2006, 2 copies)
  Python programming for the absolute beginner (2003)
  Python programming on Win32 (2000)
  Rapid web appplications with TurboGears (2006, 2 copies)
  Sams teach yourself Python in 24 hours (2000)
  Twisted network programming essentials (2005)
  Twisted network programming essentials (2006, 2 copies)

And here's the kicker:

   The City of San Jose offers free library cards to all California
   residents or property owners.

   http://www.sjlibrary.org/legal/policies.htm?pID=313

So a lot of not-so-local readers can get access to this material.  It's
not nationwide or worldwide, but it's better than just being limited to
San Jose.  (Of course I don't know the practical aspects of getting a
library card; can you do it by mail?)

But leaving this particular library aside: see if there's a large library
system that you're not personally a part of that you can use.  For years,
I lived in Santa Clara, not too far from San Jose.  I used Santa Clara's
own city library; the much larger San Jose library; the Santa Clara
County library system (which provides a library to a number of cities in
the county that prefer to be part of a larger system to operating their
own); and even, for a while, the Santa Cruz County library system (when I
used to work down that way).

Libraries rock.  Use them well, and you can rock, too.