[Tutor] Python 3000

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Aug 16 15:46:46 CEST 2007

Dick Moores wrote:
> At 02:41 AM 8/16/2007, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> But Python 3000 is a semi mythical fancy that doesn't exist and may
>> never exist.
>> It is where all the ills of Python will be cured. Saying it is in Python 3000
>> is usually a synonym for it won't be "fixed" anytime soon!
>
> But have you seen what Guido says?
>
> "We're closing in on the first Python 3000 alpha release (promised
> for the end of August)."
> <http://www.artima.com/weblogs/index.jsp?blogger=guido>
>
> Semi-mythical fancy?

Python 3000 is very real. As Dick points out, it is nearing an alpha
release. Last I heard there were just a handful of failing tests that
needed to be fixed before the release.

You can check out the code and build your own copy if you want.

Dozens of Py3K PEPs have been written, 15 have been implemented - see
the 3xxx-numbered PEPs here:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/

Google is sponsoring a Py3K sprint next week that has 21 people signed
up including many names you would probably recognize.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleSprint

Yes, at one time Python 3000 was "a semi mythical fancy that doesn't
exist and may never exist" but that is no longer true. I think the
turning point was when GvR was hired by Google and started working on
Py3K during paid hours instead of in his free time.

Kent