[Tutor] Python Book Recommendations [Was:[Re: Security]]

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 01:32:42 CEST 2007

> > up to the object's
> > mutability on whether assignment to that object is possible.
>
> As long as I'm nitpicking...well, I guess I don't know what you mean by
> assignment to an object. Assignment is to names, not objects. There is
> nothing you can do in a function to bind a new object to a name in the
> caller.

nope, it's not as complicated as you've made it... i only meant to
describe that you can modify mutable objects (and not immutable ones).
 in other words, if you have myList = [1, 2, 3], you can say myList[0]
= 4.  i'm assigning integer 4 to the myList object as its 1st element
at index 0 -- that's what my wording meant.  i realized later that i
could have been more clear because of what you said, binding names to
objects. and yes, everyone needs to be more careful with their wording
as to not confuse others.

-- wesley
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com