[Tutor] [ANN] Python courses this Fall

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:28:52 CEST 2007

Folks, I'd like to announce my final Python courses for 2007:

Need to get up-to-speed with Python as quickly as possible? Come join
me, Wesley Chun, author of Prentice-Hall's well-received "Core Python
Programming," for another set of courses this Fall in beautiful
Northern California! This will be the final set for 2007... if you
miss these, you'll have to wait until next year. I look forward to
meeting you!
(COMPREHENSIVE) INTRODUCTION TO PYTHON: Mon-Wed, 2007 Oct 8-10

This is course is meant for those new to Python and/or want to get
more in-depth formal training. We will immerse you in the world of
Python in only a few days.  We will show you more than just its syntax
(which you don't really need a book to learn, right?). Knowing more
about how Python works under the covers, including the relationship
between data objects and memory management, will make you a much more
effective Python programmer coming out of the gate.  3 hands-on labs
each day will help hammer the concepts home.

INTERNET PROGRAMMING WITH PYTHON: Sat, 2007 Oct 13

This 1-day course will introduce current Python programmers to 3
distinct areas of Internet programming, each in self-contained modules
with a set of lab exercises following each lecture topic:

Network Programming using Sockets -- Underneath all of today's network
protocols, i.e., HTTP, FTP, RDBMS, IM, e-mail, etc., lies the main
communication mechanism, sockets. Here, we introduce client/server
architecture and how to program sockets using Python.

Internet Client Programming -- One level above the socket layer are
well-known Internet protocols such as FTP, NNTP, POP3, and SMTP.  In
this section, we learn how to create Internet clients of these
protocols to transfer files, send and receive e-mail, and read Usenet
newsgroup postings.

Web/CGI Programming -- Yes, pure CGI is "sooo yesterday," but before
you jump on all the web framework bandwagons, it's a good idea to
learn basics and the basis of how all web servers deliver dynamic
content back to the client browser so that you can appreciate all the
work that is done on your behalf by a more fully-featured frame- work.
Time-permitting, we will also give a high-level overview of one of the
more popular Python web frameworks, Django.

WHERE: near the San Francisco Airport (SFO/San Bruno), CA, USA

WEB:   http://cyberwebconsulting.com (click "Python Training")

LOCALS: easy freeway (101/280/380) with lots of parking plus public
transit (BART and CalTrain) access via the San Bruno stations, easily
accessible from all parts of the Bay Area

VISITORS: free shuttle to/from the airport, free high-speed internet,
free breakfast and regular evening receptions; fully-equipped suites

See website for costs, venue info, and registration.  Discounts are
available for multiple registrations as well as for teachers/students.
We have only 12 more spots for the intro course, and 18 for the 1-day
seminar.

Hope to see you there!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com