[Tutor] HOWTO: adding to sys.path the simplest way.

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Fri Aug 24 03:17:13 CEST 2007

I have a seperate library directory both on my work station on
the the remote servers that I write applications for..

I commonly use sys.path.append('/path/to/mylibraries') in my
python code.

That code has to be placed in any standalone script that I write.
I can also place that path in a system file. On my kubuntu
workstation, it is /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/.path

I believe that path is different on the solaris or redhat servers
that I provide scripts to. Furthermore, any update of the python version
will necessitate editing of the new .path file.

I would welcome some opinions on this matter.
Thanks
Tim