[Tutor] Question about installing 2.51

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Aug 27 21:50:14 CEST 2007

Dick Moores wrote:
> XP, Python 2.5
>
> I just downloaded python-2.5.1.msi from python.org. During the
> installation process (which I aborted), I was told, "This Update will
> replace your existing Python25 installation".
>
> What exactly does this mean? What will happen, for example, to all my
> scripts that are in E:\Python25\dev? Or to the packages I've put into
> E:\Python25\Lib\site-packages?

In general minor releases (x.y.z) install over any existing x.y.w
release preserving stuff you have installed into x.y.z. In particular
site-packages will be preserved. Not sure about \dev since AFAIK that is
not part of the standard distribution.

You could just copy E:\Python25 to be safe before you do the install.

Kent