[Tutor] tagging pieces of information

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:07:40 CEST 2007

Hi, I am curious about ways in Python to approach the idea of "tagging"
pieces of information much in the way that one can tag favorite websites
like on the site Del.icio.us.  I'm not sure if tagging is the best term for
this (due to confusion with HTML tags), but the idea would be a way to
assign one or more words to stored data such that later one might search by
those words in order to retrieve the data.  That data might be a chunk of
text, a graph, image, whatever...the point would be to be able to search
later by tags name.  I know the prorgram GyrFalcon uses tags and is written
in Python.  And of course Flickr and many other things.

I don't know if there are any preexisting Python structures which would help
with this or if it has to be done by scratch, or if it is easy or difficult.
  I also don't know what are good ideas for ways to save the tags, whether
in a text file, in a database (if so, comma separated in one cell?), or some
other means, and how to associate them with the data chunk they refer to,
and lastly how to search for them.

Some starting points in the right direction, jargon words to search for,
etc., would be very helpful.  Thanks.