[Tutor] Selecting a browser

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Dec 4 11:45:54 CET 2007

Ricardo Aráoz wrote:
> Tim Golden wrote:
>> Ricardo Aráoz wrote:
>>> LOL, another demerit to documentation.
>> Agreed. But it would be more constructive to offer a simple
>> patch to the webbrowser docs. You can get hold of the relevant
>> docs here [1] and you want the webbrowser.rst file (obviously!).
>> If you raise an Issue on the tracker [2] and attach a patch, it
>> will generally get a quick response from Georg or one of the
>> other doc maintainers.
>>
>> TJG
>>
>> [1] http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Doc/library
>> [2] http://bugs.python.org/issue?@template=item
>
> Ok, I took a look. Nice link to know [1], I've added it to my links.
>
> Sadly ValueError is not mentioned in the rst, they only mention
>
> """
> The following exception is defined:
>

> .. exception:: Error
>
>    Exception raised when a browser control error occurs.
> """
>
> I'll try to read the module's code and come up with something. Then I'll
> send them a report (if Kronos allows me to).

I think the sensible thing is: rather than determine all the
many exceptions that could be raised through one circumstance
or another, to define the critical thing that the "&" at the
end of the webbrowser.get/open[...] functions causes a different
mode to fire. Arguably it should be added to the docstrings as
well.

TJG