[Tutor] Best way of learning

andy geek_show at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 5 23:43:20 CET 2007

Dear Pythonistas

Over a year ago I dabbled in learning Python, working my way through a
few tutorials, the Deitel's  "How to program in Python" and Hetland's
"Practical Python", until I came across the OOP sections. My mind just
froze up, and I found myself wondering if I had really understood
anything at all. In addition to which I didn't have any "itch" that I
needed to scratch so was trying to learn something without any purpose.
So I stopped.

In the interim however I did have a few occasions to write programs and
scripts for my GNU/Linux system to do the odd thing here and there, a
few conversion programs and calculators. I found myself going back to
the books and trying to figure it out again, and am proud to say that I
have a few programs now that are probably not elegant nor the most
efficient or stylish, but do the job.

This has re-awakened my interest in programming and as I am going back
to basics again I am conscious that I want to approach the matter
differently. I *don't* work in a programming environment, nor am I
likely to ever get into development, although would be interested in
learning ethical hacking (the idea just interests me - too many
espionage movies as a kid I guess).

I am happy to read, and have done a fair amount, but am concerned about
getting too overwhelmed and confused again. I acknowledge and realise
the value of practising by scripting programs and enjoy the intellectual
challenge of the debugging process, and trying to think through the
trick of a particular way of cracking a problem.

So, after this long-winded introduction, I was hoping to pick the wisdom
of this list to get some pointers of what to do/not to do to make the
most effective use of the few hours I have to learn how to program using
Python. So, any advice for someone in their mid-40s who would like to
learn Python in a more methodical and effective manner?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy