[Tutor] thread and os.pipe

Tiago Saboga tiagosaboga at terra.com.br
Thu Dec 13 12:03:40 CET 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 12:25:59AM -0000, Alan Gauld wrote:
> > updated to show the output from the commands. What I want to do
> > is make the doit() method of the Converter class return a pipe,
> > through which it will then send the output of the programs.
>
> I'm still not convinced that a pipe is the best solution here.
> You could simply register the UI View with the converter (in usual MVC
> design pattern) and get the converter to either send updates to the
> UI (or notify the UI to request updates) as needed. That way you
> only need a regular Python method in the Converter to deliver the
> data and another in the UI code to respond to the notification.
> No pipes or queues required.

Thanks Alan, but finally I got it working without pipes, but with a
queue. I was afraid of getting into a new world, but it turned out to
be easier than I thought. OTOH, I am really not comfortable with MVC;
I am using some MVC patterns as I don't have the choice, but I still
can't really understand the concepts. But it's another point...

Thanks again,

Tiago.