[Tutor] detecting a change in a iterable object (list, array, etc.)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 18 19:01:41 CET 2007

"Tim Michelsen" <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote

>> A list comprehension will work for this. If data is a list of
>> triples of
>> (year, month, volume) then this will give you a list of the 1997
>> triples:
>>
>> data1997 = [ item for item in data if item[0]==1997 ]

Note4 that for this to work it assumes a *list of triples*

> I tried your code out (see below).

> for line in input_data:
>    #~ print line
>    #~ year month day temp_3hr
>    year = int(line[1])
>    month = int(line[2])-1
>    day = int(line[3])
>    value = float(line[6])*0.5
>    compact_list = [year, month, day, value]

You are overwriting the same list with a new set of values so your
final list is just the last set of 4 values. I suspect you meant to
have

compact_list.append( (year,month,day,value) )

>    res_rows = [ item for item in compact_list if compact_list[0] ==
> 1990 ]

And this becomes the same as the original suggestion

    res_rows = [ item for item in compact_list if item[0] == 1990 ]

If I understand what you are trying to do...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site