[Tutor] updates andcompletion of goals

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 07:45:34 CET 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 8:57 PM, Kirk Bailey <deliberatus at verizon.net> wrote:

> Windows Wiki self instller with http server tinyweb:
> http://www.tinylist.org/WW140A.exe
>
> Full featured personal wiki for the travelling laptop user.
>
> My review:
Upon initialization of the installation, I read your license agreement.  I
thought it was mildly offensive, but whatever, this can be ignored.

Thereafter, I allowed your installatio script to start up my web browser and
point it to
http://localhost/cgi-bin/WW.py?FrontPage

Problem, though: No such file exists.  So I'm presented with a big fat error
page that looks something like this:
Internal Server Error: The system cannot find the path specified
Now I've heard you talk about your target market (non computer-savvy
businessmen), and making everything seamless so they don't get confused.
This is one thing you must work on.

I browsed around in the C:/Program Files/WindowsWiki/www folder (Note: not
on a Laptop) and I noticed some other file names.
Well, I tried cgi-bin/helloworld.py, which worked.  There were many other
such files (Which look to me like test files, that have nothing to do with
the Wiki itself (including some CSV files, etc)).  messageserver.py threw an
error.
There was some inconsistent naming: statscast1 vs statcast2 (note the
missing 's')
WWed1 was broken (said files were read-only)
WWmanual worked fine.

There was a missing icon (or some other broken image at the top) across all
WW pages that successfully loaded.

WWlistall worked in that it listed all of the categories of the Wiki, but
note that all links were back to WW.py?CategoryName , which of course failed
since WW.py was nonexistent.

My final suggestion:
When you package up a release, test it on a virgin computer that's never
seen your software before.  Test it on more than one, if you can.  Mess with
the options and try to break the install.  If you can't, then _maybe_ it
worked out correctly, but still try to get it tested as much as possible.
If you can break it, go back and try to fix the problems.

I will be happy to re-test your software upon next release.  Good luck.  As
of now, I see no reason why I should "pony up the dough", though.
-Luke