[Tutor] How Do I Make Imports Work

james.homme at highmark.com james.homme at highmark.com
Thu Dec 27 15:29:21 CET 2007

Hi,
Here is the offending code and error.

# elevator_system.py
# By Jim Homme
# Simulate the behavior of a group of elevators.
# Try to import and get error.
# The module and this file are in the same directory.
import elevator
# The elevator module
# This would be in a separate file.
# When I remove comments, it works in this file.

# class Elevator(object):
#  """Simulate the behavior of an elevator"""
#  def show_state(self):
#    """Show what floor the elevator is on"""
#    print "I am on floor 1"
#

e = Elevator()
e.show_state()

raw_input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")

====================

Error Message

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "c:\scripts\ELEVAT~1.PY", line 19, in <module>

    e = Elevator()

NameError: name 'Elevator' is not defined

james.homme at highmark.com, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Rob Andrews"
             <rob.andrews at gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  "Python Tutor" <tutor at python.org>
             tutor-bounces at pyt                                          cc
             hon.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Tutor] How Do I Make Imports
             12/27/2007 09:04          Work
             AM

Can you show us an example of the code where you're attempting to
import and the error you get?

-Rob A.

On Dec 27, 2007 7:40 AM,  <james.homme at highmark.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am just starting to learn about making classes, so I wanted to put some
> code into a module and use it. I know the code works because when I put
it
> in the same file that calls it, it does what it's supposed to do. When I
> move it into its own file and try to use an import statement to bring it
> in, I get errors that say that methods don't exist. I looked at a Windows
> tutorial that instructs me to edit my registry. The tutorial seemed to be
> talking about the version of Python from python.org. I have ActiveState
> Python. I'm OK with editing the registry, but  I'd rather not do it. If I
> have to, is there documentation somewhere that helps me work with
> ActiveState Python to do this. If I don't have to, where can I find
> documentation that helps me make this work?
>
> Thanks lots.
>
> Jim
>
> James D Homme, , Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
> james.homme at highmark.com, 412-544-1810
>
> "Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
> world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

"Quise ahogar mis penas, pero las muy putas flotan"
Sabiduría popular
Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org