[Tutor] python books

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 7 17:43:05 CET 2007

"govind goyal" <govindgoyal at gmail.com> wrote

> I want to purchase a python book but confused of which authur?
> I need suggestion.
> How is "Teach yoursef python in 24 hours by Ivan van laningham"?

Its aimed at the beginning programmer with no knowlege of
other programming languages. It is based on the very old
version 1.5.1 of Python. It is a tutorial not a reference.

OTOH I found it quite an accessible book, and particularly
good on the Tkinter GUI framework,  with 3 full chapters.
And if you are interested in Mayan calendars and Python
it's essential reading. And the Mandelbrot example is fun too.

Given your other post I'd reckon that Learning Python or
Core Python might be better bets. Both will last longer as
references after you know the basics.

I assume you have already tackled the official Python
web tutorial which is execellent?

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld