[Tutor] Trouble getting os.execl() command to work

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 04:26:56 CET 2007

I'm having a slight problem here. I've got a script (shown below) which is
run from the command line. I am converting the filenames to lowercase and
then, for each .cr2 file, I'm building a command line and running it. Seems
pretty simple. I print the resulting command line and it looks fine, but
os.execl() won't seem to execute it. It tells me "no such file or
directory". Yet I can cut and paste the printed line onto the command line
and execute it and it works fine. Am I missing something? Here's the code:

import os
import string

# get a list of the files in the current working directory

filelist = os.listdir(os.getcwd())

# run through the list and convert all of them to lowercase

for name in filelist:
    lowered_name = string.lower(name)
    print name + " -> " + lowered_name
    os.rename (name,lowered_name)

# run through the list again and for all .cr2 files run
# the exiftool command to copy the exif data from cr2 to jpg file

for name in filelist:

    #extract extension
    ext = name[-3:]

    if ext == 'cr2':
        jpg_dest = name[:-4]+".jpg"
        cmd_string = "/home/richard/ExifTool/exiftool -TagsFromFile " + name
+ " -exif:all " + jpg_dest
        print cmd_string    #this string looks correct
        os.execl(cmd_string)   #the resulting command throws an error ??