[Tutor] A doxygen-like tool for Python ?

Hilton Garcia Fernandes hgfernan at lsi.usp.br
Sun Feb 11 20:20:47 CET 2007

First of all, sorry for an empty message to the list. :-}

Second, thanks for the input.

Concerning Doxygen for Python, the page shown tell how to make Doxygen
read Python documentation strings, but that's not practical for 3rd party,
undocumented programs. For programs using C and C++, Doxygen can parse the
code and make impressive callgraphs. Of course, besides being cute they're
very useful. :)

For Python, Doxygen relies on a filter. Please see page Helper tools &
scripts, in

http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/helpers.html

It informs of a Python-to-C++ filter, based on class headers, but
unfortunately, this approach is very limited...

Concerning Epydoc, last time i tried it was not as complete as Doxygen for
C/C++. The project is very active though, so maybe the new version is more
complete.

I'll try it and report to the list, if there's enough interest.

All the best,
hilton

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> said:

> Christopher Arndt wrote:
>> Hilton Garcia Fernandes schrieb:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> i've been using doxygen for quite a time to document softwares written in
>>> C and C++, but could not found a similar tool for Python software.
>>>
>>> Could you please point me to a suitable tool ?
>>
>> How about http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/ ?
>
> Or, possibly, Doxygen since it seems to handle
> Python anyway. Or have I missed something?
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/docblocks.html#pythonblocks
>
> TJG

Hilton Garcia Fernandes
Nucleo de Tecnologias sem Fio (NTSF) -- Wireless Technologies Team
Lab de Sistemas Integraveis Tecnologico (LSI) -- Integrable Systems Lab
Escola Politecnica (Poli) -- Engineering School
Univ S Paulo (USP)
Tel: (5511)3091-5676 (work)
     (5511)8131-5213 (mobile)
Av. Prof. Luciano Gualberto,158 trav.3 CEP 05508-900
S. Paulo -- SP -- Brazil
Pagina inicial: http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hgfernan