[Tutor] Python for Sysadmins

Christopher Arndt chris.arndt at web.de
Tue Feb 13 16:38:47 CET 2007

Steve Nelson schrieb:
> I'd like some suggestions for a course outline - bear in mind I'll
> only have a day for the course.  The attendees are all sysadmins with
> a UNIX background, and are reasonably comfortable with shell, but
> nothing else.

Must topics (apart from the basic Python stuff):

- functions in the os and os.path module
- the subprocess module
- recipe for option parsing with optparse
- recipe for basic logging with the logging module
- file globbing with glob
- walking a directory hierarchy with os.walk
- the re module
- the urllib module

Maybe:

- Python modules and packages
- distutils and easy_install (if they have to install third-party packages)

Since you only have a day this can be only very basic introductions resp. recipes.

Chris