[Tutor] Replying to the tutor-list

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:18:39 CET 2007

Bill Campbell wrote:
> The major reason for not setting Reply-To: thelist is that it makes it
> *SLIGHTLY* more difficult to post something to the list and replys should
> go to the sender.  IHMO, one should have to go to a little bit of effort
> before posting a message that may go to thousands of recipients.
>
> Using the ``mutt'' mailer, this effort is simply pressing ``L'' instead of
> ``r'' when posting to the list and adding the listname to the subscribe
> section of ~/.muttrc, hardly a major inconvenience.

It's not the inconvenience but the fact that it's nonstandard, as far as
every mailing list i've been on except this.
You don't pick people to mail specifically on the mailing list, why
should you reply to specific people, unless you hit a special button?
I didn't get the e-mail from you.  You posted the e-mail to the list and
i received it because I'm a member of the list.
The list is the sender.  It aggregates posts to me.  When I reply it
should put my post in the same thread, one level below and immediately after
the previous person's post, like i expect it to.
It has retrained me to use reply-all, but I still don't like it.
Also you end up CCing copies of your e-mails to everyone.