[Tutor] Replying to the tutor-list

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Feb 16 11:24:21 CET 2007

Alan Gauld wrote:
> But its obvious there are two views at work here.

(The one which sees an apostrophe in "it's" and the
one which doesn't? ;)

But, joking aside, I think you've summarised the situation
quite well, and I suspect that -- given the what must be
thousands of mailing lists and newsgroups out there --
anyones claim that "most x do y" is probably based on
anecdotal experience, matter how widespread and long-lived.

I would take minor issue -- with you, and with the creators
of Thunderbird which is my current mail client of choice. It
looks to me as though you're suggesting that the reply-all
button is there to reply to a list, whereas it seems to me
to be there to reply to all the recipients in the original
email, *not* just to reply to a group or other bulk originator.
Now that's what Thunderbird does: puts Alan Gauld in the To:
field and tutor at ... in cc: My problem there is that I usually
don't want to send the originating individual a private copy
of an email he/she is going to receive from the list in any
case, so I usually cut-and-paste around so that only the list
is in To: AFAIK, TB doesn't offer any configurability here,
neither a reply-to-list button, nor any option to treat a
list specially on a general reply-to-all.

I work with several different lists and simply work around
the differences between them so this is hardly problematic
for me, but if anyone knows of a TB configuration (or extension)
which offers reply-to-group please do let me know!

> Vive la difference!

Indeed.

TJG