[Tutor] Replying to the tutor-list

Michael P. Reilly arcege at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 13:00:20 CET 2007

On 2/16/07, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> As to standard list behaviour, I don't know of any list thats been
> around for more than say 10 years that uses Reply to send to All.
> This seems to be a very recent thing. (And most of the lists I am
> on have been around for much more than 10 years! :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan G.

If I remember correctly, LISTSERV did not return replies to the original
poster but to the mailing list you were subscribed to.  LISTSERV, c. 1984,
is the first mailing list software package and was widely used at the time.
  I believe this is still the default behavior.

This is different because the postings are coming from LISTSERV, not the
original sender.  Based on documentation, there is currently an option to
add a reply-to of the original sender; but not all clients honor reply-to
fields.

However, the "standard behavior" at the time was that replies went back to
the mailing list, not to the original sender.
  -Arcege
--
There's so many different worlds,
So many different suns.