[Tutor] control multiple FTP sessions using multiple ipconnectionsvia different com ports

David Perlman dperlman at wisc.edu
Mon Feb 19 14:51:30 CET 2007

This kind of thing is usually handled at the level of the OS's
routing table.  Routing tables have an entry called "metric" that is
used to weight the different routes, so that when there are multiple
possible links available, the one with the lowest metric is used
first.  In Unix at least, you'll be able to use either the command
"route" or "routed" to manually change the routing table; you can
change the metrics for the two interfaces to control which one gets
used.  unfortunately this will change the routing globally, not just
for a specific connection.  I don't think the routing systems on
ordinary computers were designed with the idea in mind that you might
want to use a specific link for a specific connection.

If you're on UNIX, run netstat -nr.  If you're on Windoze, run route
print.  You should be able to see the metric for each entry.
http://www.pku.edu.cn/academic/research/computer-center/tc/html/
TC0310.html
Unfortunately, the "metric" column doesn't show up under OS X, and I
haven't been able to figure out why in 5 minutes of searching.  Also
unfortunately, I don't know any more about this, and searching on
Google was not revealing immediate results.  But hopefully this will
get you started in the right direction!

So the bottom line, I guess, is that a) this is a routing question,
not a python question; and b) it's not an easy question.  :)