[Tutor] Add metadata to a dir of files.

Kirk Bailey deliberatus at verizon.net
Fri Feb 23 04:55:24 CET 2007

Mark Bystry wrote:
> Ok. I'm not sure what programming language I want to try this in...since I'm not sure how to write
> this in any language (thought I'd give python a try.
>
> Here's my problem: I have a directory full of about 2,000 pdf files. I want to be able to add the
> same comment to the "Category" field of each file (in the document properties of the file). So I am
> looking to batch process pdf files (or any filetype, i guess) to add some metadata.
Just as a shot in the dark, try this as a first guess at proceeding:

filelist=glob.glob('*.pdf')
# filelist is a list variable; each *.pdf file name is an item in the
# list variable.
#now we will walk the list, doing the same trhing to every item.
for file in filelist:	# do the same stuff to every file listed
	dosomething
	dosomethingelse

See if thie helps getting something started. I know nothing about how to
insert data into an existing pdf file, can you advise?