[Tutor] geeks like us and the rest of THEM

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Feb 24 17:45:28 CET 2007

Kirk Bailey wrote:
> OK, my project is to come up with a wiki which is easy to install and
> use in a windows laptop, to wikify the notebook into a hypernotebook.
>
> ok, it must be EASY to install. And LEGAL.
>
> MiniWiki is in python. I can do it in a self extracting installer as
> there is a nice free pone out there someplace- links please? BUT PYTHON
> IS ANOTHER MATTER. It needs to have python on the notebook, which is not
> the case. It aldso needs a small server in the notebook, and I have one
> in python and another in C++, which alas is not freeware.

You can use py2exe to create an executable that includes Python. You can
create a single file executable or a directory that can be packaged up
with InnoSetup or another installer maker.

Python has a simple built-in web server - see SimpleHTTPServer and
CGIHTTPServer modules. Beyond that there are many freely distributed web
servers available, CherryPy, Karrigell and Snakelets are all pretty small.

Kent