[Tutor] httpd in your laptop?!? serve web pages and wikis in your notebook?

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:52:15 CET 2007

Kirk Bailey wrote:
> ok, I realized  SOME TIME BACK that to run MANY THINGS in your windows
> computer you need a server in there- and a nice SMALL one if it is going
> to coexist with everything else going on.
You need a server for what now?
Web pages?  FTP? SVN?
I can't think of much else.

I run apache and ftp services on my windows machine, and they're
using... let me check...
4 MB of ram for the FTP server, and 4.6 MB of ram for Apache.  neither
of these are considered 'lightweight' apps.  Both are fully-featured.
Neither are listed as using more than 0% CPU.
My IM client uses 14 MB, my music program uses 32 MB, my browser is
using 63 MB, and my e-mail client is using 47 MB.
I would consider Apache fairly resource-friendly, compared to these
other apps.  Not to mention it's used on over 50% of EVERY web server,
so I'm pretty sure it's reliable.  And I don't see a need to use
anything else.  If your software asked me to install some obscure web
server I've never heard of, I would probably cancel the installation and
forget about it, for fear it would interfere with my already-established
Apache server.
>  I found one in python, and
> posted it, and it caused a stirr.
I don't know what you're referring to, maybe it was before I joined the
list.
>  Well, I found a LISTING of them, and
> tried all the more promising ones. here is that page:
> http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/phttpd.html

Can I ask why are you looking into this?
As far as I can tell, the software you're writing (miniwiki) will be
served from the client's computer directly to the client's web
browser.  No actual web stuff is necessary, right?
I don't understand why you'd want to make the user have to install
another webserver to use your program.  You're writing it in Python, why
not use a Python HTTP server library, and have that included in your
distribution when you py2exe it?
It seems by far a better solution.

JMO,
-Luke