[Tutor] python web dev

Christopher Arndt chris.arndt at web.de
Thu Jan 4 17:50:22 CET 2007

Simon Brunning schrieb:
> On 1/4/07, OkaMthembo <zebra05 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> also, which is the best templating
>> language for python? (which can handle other data formats in addition to
>> text). so far im lured by Cheetah, although i havent done any web dev with
>> python yet.
>
> Cheetah's good, but if you go with Django, it has its own which is
> pretty good too. (I use both at times.)

There is now also Jinja [1], which is similar to the template language Django
uses, but can be used stand-alone. I haven't used it yet, but judging from the
docs it looks very promising.

I use Cheetah a lot, but I must say that it has a few quirks/bugs when used in
its standard configuration, and development could be a little faster. But I
much prefer it to XML-based template languages like Kid [2] or Genshi [3] though.

You can use both Cheetah and Jinja with TurboGears [4], though the coolest part
of TG, the widget system, currently only works well with Kid (but this is about
to change soon).

HTH, Chris

[1] http://wsgiarea.pocoo.org/jinja/
[2] http://www.kid-templating.org/