[Tutor] smtplib starttls() error

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Wed Jan 10 02:24:42 CET 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Kent Johnson wrote:

> Are you using the standard Python installer from python.org or something
> else? SSL support is a build option. It is included in the standard
> Python for Windows v2.3.5 and 2.4.4. Can you upgrade to the standard
> 2.4.4 distribution and see if that works?

I'm guessing that Olen is using Activestate's distribution, which does not
include SSL for export control reasons:

   ActivePython does not include SSL support. Why is this, and how can I
   add it?

   Here is an answer on python-list while discussing the differences
   between ActivePython and python.org's Python:

   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-December/315754.html
   [http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-December/357227.html]

   - As Neil pointed out, ActivePython does not currently have SSL
     bindings (the _ssl module) that python.org's Python builds do. We
     are currently going through the legal hurdles so that we can
     include those.  I expect that by or before the Python 2.5
     timeframe we'll have _ssl in ActivePython.

   In the interim just plopping in the _ssl.pyd|so from either
   python.org's build or from your own build into ActivePython's
   lib-dynload directory will work to get ActivePython talking SSL.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/faq.html#ext_ssl