[Tutor] Is Python the language for me?

Andy agunnerson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:47:06 CET 2007

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get the opinions of some people with more
experience then myself.  Currently I only have time to learn one
language and I'm torn between C++ and Python.  Eventually I would like
to make a game, nothing too extravagant, a turn based strategy game to
be exact.  I'm not planning on having crazy graphics effects, I'm
going to focus on game play.  Anyway, I'm getting a little off course
here.  I want to learn one of the two mentioned languages with the end
goal to be able to make my game.  I know it's a long way off before
I'll be able to make it so please don't assume that I'm going to jump
right in expecting to make this in a matter of months.  Besides the
game, I have all kinds of ideas for small little programs that I would
like to make.

I would honestly rather use Python then C++ but I have a few concerns.
 How hard is it to manage a large project in Python vs. C++?  If I do
decide to use Python I would be using Pygame for the graphics end of
things.  From what I can tell, Pygame does not work with the current
release of Python, that's one of the things that causes me to worry.
If I finish this game and release it, are people going to constantly
be having to upgrade Python and Pygame for it to keep working?  And
how much really changes between releases?

Python has built in access to a windowing toolkit (Tkinter), C++ can
of course use the native windows/linux/mac API but that seems like
more of a hassle to me.  Once the C++ program has been compiled it's
much easier to distribute.  C++ has a much higher learning curve and
development time then Python does.  Python has a much nicer community
built around it then C++ from what I can see though.

So as you can see I feel that each language has it's own pro's and
con's and I might end up learning them both eventually.  Do you all
think Python will work for what I want right now?  My biggest concern
with Python is the upkeep involved in trying to distribute your
applications.  Do updates to Python usually cause issues?  Why would
something like Pygame work with Python 2.4 but not 2.5?

I'm sorry if this is a horribly dumb question but I've been looking
around and I can't find the answer to these on my own.  Thank you all
for any help you can give me.

--
-Andy
"I have a great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." –