[Tutor] Correct Way to Start a Python Program Under Linux

pytutor.20.247ob at spamgourmet.com pytutor.20.247ob at spamgourmet.com
Thu Jan 18 21:12:00 CET 2007

Hi,
Please help I'm at my wits end...

My program comprises of 2 modules and runs a gui written in pygtk2, I
have at the beginning of each:

#!/bin/env python

I made it executable (chmod a+x)

I can run them from a terminal window like

$ /path/to/file.py

this works fine and dandy no probs at all but ultimately I want to
share this program and I want people to launch the program directly
from a menu and not a shell.

now if I create a file launcher on the task bar that points directly to
the same file it runs and seems to be ok except..
my program uses subprocess.Popen({command string}, etc)
and these calls to Popen do not work, only if I run the program from a
shell window.

So am I doing something wrong please tell me?
I have spent hours and hours debugging and changing the code in
different ways and always the same, I cannot get a subprocess to spawn
into another process unless I run the program from a shell window
,please help!

Wayne.