[Tutor] Python Branches

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 08:05:28 CET 2007

vanam wrote:

> i started slowly learning python as i dont have much exposure to it
> and  i wanted to know what are all branches there in python actually i
> installed py 2.5 recently i come across question in groups about the
> gui where in pygtk should be installed.My question is without this
> installation could i able to develop any application using py2.5?
Well, that depends what the meaning of the word 'any' is.
Do you mean 'any' to be one or more possible applications or do you mean
it to be all possible applications?
Yes, you can write many programs with the base python install.
Potentially you could write any program; however, the point is not to
rewrite code that someone has already done.
That's the purpose of libraries.
For example, python comes with a 'math' library which allows you to
calculate sines and cosines of angles without having to understand
the process by which someone calculates these values.
> One more thing is what is tkinter?Can  any one explain what are all
> branches in python and how it could be used?
pygtk and tkinter are libraries that people have written to let you
write applications containing GUIs.
pygtk is a separate download; tkinter comes with most Python distributions.