[Tutor] Getting HTTP response codes

William O'Higgins Witteman hmm at woolgathering.cx
Tue Jan 30 17:13:23 CET 2007

I am looking to get the HTTP response from a URI - 200, 404, etc.  I'm
not sure which module I should look at.  I've looked at urllib and
urllib2, but they only seem to provide this information in Exceptions,
and then only if there is an error.  That's fine if I'm only looking for
implicit 200's, but I'm actually looking for the HTTP response code.

I initially thought that httplib would be the way to go, but it does not
seems to be very user-friendly.  There seems to be a class for HTTP
response codes, but I don't know how to use it.  Can anyone point the
way?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William