[Tutor] reassigning/replacing sys.stdout

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 30 17:58:56 CET 2007

> The author of the cmd line app suggested I temporarily replace
> sys.stdout'with a file descriptor class that can write directly to the
> gui'. The author is now out of communications for a few weeks, so I
> can't elaborate.

It sounds like the subprocess module might be very useful here:

     http://www.python.org/doc/lib/node529.html

The reason is because you can use the PIPE option, which gives you a
file-like object of the other process's stdout.  There's an example of
this in action here:

     http://www.python.org/doc/lib/node536.html

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.  Best of wishes!