[Tutor] Regarding licensing GPL terms

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jan 31 12:08:23 CET 2007

Anup Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing an application that uses a python libary  (a *.so file)
> generated using SWIG.
> This library  makes direct system calls to the Linux kernel.
> This raises three questions.
>
> a> Does this mean that the library must be distributed under GPL terms?

I don't think so. I believe Linux has a library exception to the GPL
that permits linking against it, though I can't find a reference to this
at the moment.

> b> Can I distribute it as LGPL?

I think so.

> c> Also, does any python script that uses this module have to be
> distributed under GPL , LGPL, or is the PSF license sufficient?
>      My preference would be the PSF but I am not sure if it is ok.

The PSF itself discourages using the PSF license for non-PSF code. You
should probably consider a BSD or MIT license if you want something more
liberal than LGPL.

I am not a lawyer and I could be wrong!

Kent