[Tutor] Power Shells [WAS:] optimization: faster than for

Reed O'Brien reed at reedobrien.com
Mon Jul 2 07:06:49 CEST 2007

On Jul 1, 2007, at 6:38 PM, ALAN GAULD wrote:

> Suddenly it seems like I have an embarassment of advanced
> shells to choose from. At risk of starting a religious war, who
> favours which and why?

Alan,

I have been using ipython for the last few months.  I am barely
touching teh surface of what it is capable of.

there are of course silly shortcuts like so:
In [16]: def foo(x):
     print x
    ....:
    ....:

In [18]: def bar(x, y, z):
     print x, y, z
    ....:
    ....:

In [20]: ;foo 1 2 3
1 2 3

In [21]: ,bar 1 2 3
1 2 3

note the ; and , that auto quote for you.

The main reason I like it is that is leaves me real shell access and
auto complete for filepaths and such.

I use it with the zope debugger, too.

~ro