[Tutor] Power Shells [WAS:] optimization: faster than for

Eike Welk eike.welk at gmx.net
Mon Jul 2 15:42:05 CEST 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 00:38, ALAN GAULD wrote:

> > > I can't remember which tool does this - IronPython maybe?
> >
> > It's IPython -- http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/
>
> Now for some reason I assumed IPython was the IDE for IronPython.
> Having checked out the web link its obviously completely unrelated!
>
> PyCrust, IPython, SPE, Eclipse/PyDev
>
> Suddenly it seems like I have an embarassment of advanced
> shells to choose from. At risk of starting a religious war, who
> favours which and why?
I like IPython for interactive sessions, because of the better help
facilities and because it has special support for Matplotlib. (It
keeps the display thread running.)

I used IPython in the example because I thought that it would clarify
the point. (Especially the "In [6]", "Out[6]:" prompts.) But the
opposite was true: It created additional confusion.

I use IPython however not very often. I use PyDev for programming and
it has no usable support for an interactive shell. Instead I write
small test programs and look at them in the debugger. PyDev's
debugger frontend is quite good.

> Alan G.
> (Currently using PyCrust and playing with SPE)

Regards,
Eike.