[Tutor] Question regarding syntax

Michael Klier chi at chimeric.de
Wed Jul 11 18:17:42 CEST 2007

Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:03:18AM -0400, John Morris wrote:
> > I'm editing some code from Mailman and seeing:
> >
> > legend = _("%(hostname)s Mailing Lists")

I am no python pro but I guess that funtction _() ist just a wrapper
function around gettext.gettext from the gettext module (used for
localization). I`ve seen that in lots of places and I think that`s
common practise (don`t beat me if I am wrong ;-)).

> Mailman is a great product. But that bit of code is not, I think,
> very good code.

Even the python gettext docs [1] use it that way.

[1] http://docs.python.org/lib/node732.html

Kind Regards
Michael

--