[Tutor] curses

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:54:58 CEST 2007

On 7/16/07, Tiger12506 <keridee at jayco.net> wrote:
> curses does not run on my Windows XP computer.
> Is this supposed to be a Linux only module?
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\curses\__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
>     from _curses import *
> ImportError: No module named _curses
>
> JS

There IS a way to try Linux, Python, and curses WITHOUT
installing anything to the hard-drive of your MSWindowsXP
computer, and that is to download a Linux LiveCD ISO image,
and make a bootable CD from that image. Your computer
BIOS should be setup to boot from a CD. Put the LiveCD in
the CD drive, and reboot. The LiveCD runs in RAM, so you
need at LEAST 128MB RAM to run it (for good results).
Since it runs in RAM, nothing touches the HD. When you
are finished, simply Shutdown the computer, take out the CD,
and reboot into MSWindowsXP.

Warning: there are over 200 Linux LiveCDs to choose from!
Not all of them are designed for developers, so they may
or may not have Python installed by default. One easy-to-use
general-purpose Linux LiveCD is called SimplyMEPIS.
You can find a download mirror here:
http://www.mepis.org/mirrors
You should have a fast connection to download this ISO image.
The SimplyMEPIS LiveCD is about 700MB in size!

Python is already installed, as well as the curses module.

This is a general-purpose desktop OS that runs the K Desktop
Environment (KDE), and has all sorts of interpreters and compilers
on it besides Python. It has a 75% 'Ubuntu' core with a 25% MEPIS
wrapper that makes things work out of the box.

A Linux LiveCD can be carried with you, and used on remote
computers without having to install anything on the remote computer.
So you can have Python with you, wherever you go. =)
--
bhaaluu at gmail dot com