[Tutor] Running another program from Python

Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela clsdaniel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 04:08:18 CEST 2007

There is also os.system which should work in a similar way as Matlab
system. You pass a string with the command and arguments. The downside
of system is that it opens an entire shell and environment for the
program being run, you only have the return value from the
application.

Other options can be popen if you want to feed to process with some
information or get some information from it (if everything is done
through standard input and output), but in your case you are better of
with exec or system.

Exec functions will replace your current process with the application
you want to run, this may not be what you want.

Spawn will create a subprocess, you can wait for it to finish or let
it run free knowing its process id to check it latter, it is roughly
similar to fork.

Good luck!
Regards,
Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba