[Tutor] Logging module

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jul 25 13:59:51 CEST 2007

jay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup simple Syslog logging in python using the logging
> module.  I would like to use a config file, but so far haven't been able
> to get the correct configuration.  Actually, I don't get any warnings or
> errors, program runs fine, but nothing is logged anywhere.  I have my
> syslog LOCAL6 setup to go to /var/log/scripts.log, and that worked fine
> during testing of the syslog module.  But logging gives me more
> flexibility, I'd rather use that.
>
> Anyone with some experience using this module?  The documentation, at
> least to me, is a bit confusing, and I haven't found a good example on
> the web yet.

I haven't used logging config files, but I don't see anything obviously
wrong here. A couple of ideas to try:
- make sure logging.conf can be found by
   print os.path.exists('logging.conf')
- turn on console logging in the config file and see if that works
- try to configure the syslog handler in code instead of in a file, then
translate the successful configuration to a file.

Kent