[Tutor] Shelve del not reducing file size

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Fri Jul 27 17:39:47 CEST 2007

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> Barton David wrote:
>
>> I mean no offense and lay no blame. It's simply that I feel like I've
>> been led up a nice gentle beach and suddenly I'm dodging boulders at the
>> bottom of a cliff.
>>
>> I've learned to program with Python (and can hardly conceive of a better
>> language to be honest)- and I still think the core language is great:
>> elegant, easy to use and brilliantly documented.
>>
>> But the more I explore the standard library and third party modules, the
>> more I run into trouble: a chaotic library structure that seems to
>> conceal capabilities rather than promote them, similar modules that
>> don't work in similar ways, a whole new level of opaque programming
>> lingo that makes me feel excluded, behaviours that I don't understand,
>> don't want, and that I can't find documentation to explain, and so on.
>>
>> I guess it's not Python's fault: I'm guess I'm just too stupid. But I'm
>> just getting really disenchanted. Sorry.
>>

> No, the Python documentation is sometimes brief. And some places are not
> really documented (like some dusty corners in the hotshot profiler). But
> OTOH, it's also hard on newbies, because it usually documents but does
> not explain what a module does, e.g., it often expects the reader to
> know the protocols involved, sometimes it expects the reader to know
> computer science basics.

It seems like new programmers today expect to be spoonfed their
information like they were in grammar school.  They don't know what it
is to hack a Makefile to get a package to compile or break out an RFC to
understand a protocol.  If you don't understand something and the
documentation is lacking, then strap on a pair and read the source,
write some test cases, dig a little.  In our environment most of the
code you'd have to read is just more Python, anyway.

Just me being a grouchy old programmer.  In my day we had to program in
4 feet of snow, uphill... both ways!