[Tutor] Shelve del not reducing file size

Barton David David.Barton at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 27 18:05:19 CEST 2007

Eric Brunson wrote:

> It seems like new programmers today expect to be spoonfed their
> information like they were in grammar school.  They don't know what it
> is to hack a Makefile to get a package to compile or break out an RFC to
> understand a protocol.  If you don't understand something and the
> documentation is lacking, then strap on a pair and read the source,
> write some test cases, dig a little.  In our environment most of the
> code you'd have to read is just more Python, anyway.
>
> Just me being a grouchy old programmer.  In my day we had to program in
> 4 feet of snow, uphill... both ways!

heh. Well give me some credit. I taught myself to program, from scratch, without access to (or time for) any courses whatsoever, while doing a PhD in genetics. I've been using it for about 5 years now and I know the core language and certain standard modules pretty well. I doubt I would have got as far as I have if Python wasn't so newbie-friendly. My only complaint is that I'm starting to feel like I won't get much further than that without a computer science degree.