[Tutor] Shelve del not reducing file size

Tiger12506 keridee at jayco.net
Fri Jul 27 19:39:05 CEST 2007

> ...some credit. I taught myself to program, from scratch, without access
> to (or time for) any courses whatsoever... 5 years now...core
> language...certain standard modules pretty well... complaint...won't get
> much further...without a computer science degree.

Wow. I'm so *shocked*.
Most python programmers are self-taught. Usually, the best are self-taught.
Five years for the core language and some standard modules!?! Are you
kidding me? If it takes you that long, then you are out of your field, and
lucky you can handle what you can. Some advice: Never, ever try to learn
anything like C/C++. Or at least don't leave any knives around to tempt you.

Some people need degrees, most people don't. It all depends on what they are
capable of understanding. From the sound of it, you are lucky you haven't
jumped off a bridge yet.
Python is simple. Easy enough for teenagers to focus long enough to follow
even the source of the standard libraries, not just the interfaces.

JS

PS - I'm somewhat sorry I feel the need to throw in my two bits. This little
debate has continued for long enough, and should end. Btw, try not to
complain about one language's characteristics without having a thorough
understanding of what else is out there. Python's standard library is
'newbie-friendly'. If you doubt it, try emulating what you can already do in
python in another language.