[Tutor] Sum of Scores

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 02:13:38 CEST 2007

Tiger12506 wrote:

>>> Nope-nope-nope you're wrong :-)~
>>>
>> The way I understood the 'period' of the  random function was that after x
>> calls to the function, you would start getting the same pattern of results
>> as you did to begin with, in _the same running process_ of a program.
>> This is a separate situation from having the clock be exactly the same and
>> getting the same random values on program start - we already knew that
>> would
>> happen, because the seed hadn't changed.
>> Unless I understand the period wrong, but I don't think so.
>>

> No, you understand it just fine. The story was to illustrate the special
> case. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's the same running
> process. Two process started within the same second produce the same
> 'random' results. So, as the story goes, the big boss's computer time is
> locked, runs for *nearly* an eternity, and at that point the pattern starts
> repeating.

So normally, after the period is up, it would choose a new seed? or does
it repeat after the period whether or not the time has changed?

> I was just being nit-picky and silly. I told you it was late :-)
>
>  > as a side note - are you going to enter the September Pyweek?  You
> should!
>
>> It's a lot of fun.
>> -Luke
>>

> Hmmm.... what's that? I'll google.

It's a whole lot of fun.  And everyone's really nice.
SO even if you don't have time to finish a game, it's enjoyable and a
learning experience just to
hang out with everyone on IRC.  Also, you should have time to learn
pygame for the competition if you don't know how to use it already.  Of
course you could use pyglet or pyOpenGL or something instead, if you wanted.