[Tutor] Invoking Python from Vim

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 8 01:19:39 CEST 2007

"Matt Smith" <matt at mattanddawn.orangehome.co.uk> wrote

> Do any Vim users have a better way of running a Python program while
> it
> is being edited in Vim?

My personal preference is to have 3 windows open:

1) gvim for editing the files
2) a console for running the files using command recall to do so
3) a console running a python shell prompt
    (actually nowadays I'm using a a PyCrust shell)

And I alt-tab between the windows.

This way I can experiment in PyCrust, copy the resultant experiments
into gvim and run the program, keeping the error messages etc
visible without sacrificing gvim window space.

The downside is the alt-tab required to switch to the right window
and an up-arrow press to recall the python command to re-execute
each time.

Alan G.