[Tutor] "#!/usr/bin/env python" vs "#!/usr/local/bin/python"

David Duncan davdunc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:14:26 CEST 2007

On 6/14/07, Ezra Taylor <ezra.taylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Emilia means what's the difference.  From what little I know,
> #!/usr/bin/env python will choose the first python that's in your path.
> Were as the second option, you explicitly choose which instance of python
> you want.  I'm using using python from Activestate.  So my shebang is to the
> Activestate directory for python.  If I'm wrong, please correct.
>
> Ezra
>
> On 6/14/07, emilia12 at mail.bg <emilia12 at mail.bg> wrote:
> >
> > hi list,
> >
> > how to choose between "#!/usr/bin/env python" and
> > "#!/usr/local/bin/python" in the beginning of the script ?
> > e.

> --
> Ezra Taylor

The real difference here is that by using the "env"  command, you have the
option to input many different settings preferences before calling the
python of your choice.  The statement above, is a very simple choice of the
python based upon the current environment, but it could be augmented very
easily.

I suggest that you check out the man page for the command "env".

--
David Duncan

Registered Linux User #279425
http://counter.li.org