[Tutor] how can I compare a local directory or file with a remote one

Tom Tucker tktucker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 21:41:49 CEST 2007

What are we comparing? Size of files, number of files in a directory, md5sum
of the files, directory size, etc?  What about rsync?  You can use rsync to
compare directories between a source and destiantion system and just report
differences.  For example, comparing /etc directores between two RHEL
4.5systems.