[Tutor] trouble understanding the python environment in OSX

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 3 15:22:11 CET 2007

"Clay Wiedemann" <clay.wiedemann at gmail.com> wrote

> I am not only new to Python, but new to programming in an
> environment
> like this, where knowing a little of how the underpinning work is
> essential.*

Actually I very rarely need to do anything with the environment.
Most of my iBook Python programming is done in the
src/python folder of my home directory. I just import
stuff and it works...

> I am running the latest OSX (10.4.8) and know a little about moving
> about in the terminal. But the world of paths, etc. has me a little
> confused.

If you have specific situations where paths are tripping you
up we can probably offer help. In general you should only need
1) The path to Python set up in your login shell script PATH
2) The path to Pythons modules in PYTHONPATH
ie. in your file:  ~/.bash_profile.
(I assume you use bash since think thats the new default
in 10.4 - I am still on 10.2 which uses tcsh as shell)

> - Can anyone point me to a well-regarded and pithy tutorial
> regarding
> the UNIX underpinnings of OSX, especially anything that would help
> with Python.

Apple have lots of guidance, this is a good jump off page:

http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/GS_MacOSXServer/index.html

Or more usefully there is Pogue's Missing Manual book.
This is probably best for traditional Mac users stepping into Unix
for the first time.
For more depth I found MacOS X Unleashed good, but longgggg
And finally MacOSX Hacks is good but not really a tutorial.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site